Do you want to know my secret? Shhhhhhh don’t tell because it is so simple and so straight forward. How could this high maintenance Diva of Dermatology use anything simple? My #1 top beauty pick will always be sunscreen. By far, the most effective, emollient, and “cosmetically elegant” (that is a buzz word from the [...]
If you hear a tiny voice in your ear screaming “I’m meeeeeelting!” it is not a throwback to the Wizard of Oz’s ”Wicked Witch of the West,” it’s your skin’s collagen screaming and melting in the sun. Ladies, I know it’s not glamorous, but lets talk sunscreen. In fact, it is a very serious chat if you want to preserve that oh so precocious collagen, “Sunscreen is like brushing your teeth for your skin.” This is my MANTRA. So, may I hear a drum roll? This heliophobe’s top 5 sunscreen picks include sassy, sexy, little sunscreens that will transform shopping for boring sunscreen basics in to a safe and educated, walk in the park. Let’s go ladies…
1. BrushOnBlock by Susan Posnick. This is the “quickie” of sunscreens ladies–wham, bam, thank you ma’am. Is it on? Oh, yes it is… It is SPF 30 and is mineral based. What diva wants to re-apply greasy sunscreen atop her perfectly applied makeup mid-day? Mas non, ma petite! Whip out this little brush and whisk the powder atop your already made-up visage. Perfect for you, and easy for the kids.
2. Estee Lauder DayWear BB Cream SPF 35. It is the anti – “O.” “Oh” stop ladies! We are referring to antioxidants. Oxidation and free radicals should be on every gals naughty list. Free radicals are pesky little scavengers that smack your collagen like Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest. SO, ladies we need antioxidants to protect that coveted collagen.
3. I am over the moon (or should I say sun?) for Laura Mercier’s Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer. Coverage, luminosity, and protection, what more could a diva want?
4. SkinCeutical’s new SPF 50. This is the stiletto heel of non-chemical sunscreens. Which is a MUST have for those with sensitive skin or rosacea. It uses zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as physical blockers. Brings up images of a huge bouncer outside a club, right? Block those pesky UV rays ladies!
5. Anything Neutrogena. They have a sunscreen for every mood you might be in, and my cabinet is STOCKED—think of Imelda Marcos’ shoe collection. From kitten heel to ballet flat and wedge—take your pick ladies, Neutrogena has your style.
Ciao for now ladies, gotta go re-apply my sunscreen! Digging in my LV as we speak for my BrushOnBlock….
Sandra Witten, PA-C, MPAS